Saturday, November 25, 2006

Mr. Understood: The Willy Terry Story Part 1

I've lived in Atlanta for 10 years now. I moved here right after the '96 Olympics, and I've been here ever since. When I moved here, a few of my good friends lived in the Virginia Highlands, a great little pocket neighborhood just east of downtown Atlanta. Eventually, I moved to the Highlands because of its friendly, yet eclectic, vibe.

I'll never forget sitting at the traffic light at Ponce de Leon and Highland Avenue, one day back in '96. I looked over at the sidewalk, near the Marta bus stop, and there was this dude standing there in really tight "biking" shorts. He wasn't doing anything special...just standing there, staring off into the distance. It was funny, but I didn't really think much about it. A few months later, I was in Decatur, GA (not far from the Highlands) and guess what...I saw him again...this time walking down the sidewalk with a bicycle. He had those biking shorts on again, too. I called a few friends to tell them about it, but I don't think anyone really believed me. Regardless, it was him...

Now fast forward 10 years. I don't live in the Highlands any longer, and I don't get down there as much as I used to. Regardless, I had completely forgotten about this dude.

Then I get an email from my ol' high school friend, Dr. Brooks, which contains a link to this video. Turns out the dude is still alive and kicking. SO...I obviously had to share this with all of you.

Yes, this is on the edge in terms of vulgarity. But at the same time, it's reality and I've always appreciated "town characters."

Enjoy!

No comments: