Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Turn down the VOLume...!


I've never been one to rant and rave too much about sports. Sure, I played them all as a kid. I played football in highschool. I played some rugby in college. But I've never really been one to obsess about a particular team or sport. However, I do like to watch Ole Miss football. There's something to be said about Ole Miss football. If you're fortunate enough to ever make it to Oxford and The Grove for an Ole Miss Football Experience, then do it. It's an experience all to itself.

There's also something I absolutely loath about sports...and that is ANYTHING related to the University of Tennessee. I grew up rooting for Ole Miss and hating Mississippi State. I went to West Point and enjoyed my share of Army/Navy games...talk about a rivalry! But in my honest opinion, there's nothing like a Tennessee Vols fan. Those fans can't just root for Tennessee. Oh, no. They have to deck themselves out in ORANGE. Not just a hat or a t-shirt or a sweatshirt. It's got to be ALL DAMN THREE OF THEM. Or worse, they'll have sweatpants, socks, sweatbands, sunglasses, and whatever else you can make orange or stick an obnoxious T on.

Furthermore, you have their cars...or vehicles...or RVs. Can't just have a small decal on the back....you gotta have a big T on the back, on the front, on the sides. Gotta have a Vols license plate. Gotta have several Vols flags, preferably on each window of the car. Gotta have the Vols magnets on every square inch of the car, as well. No moderation for these people....gotta go all out.

What takes the cake, you ask? Well, just stop a group of UT fans and ask them what year they graduated. Chances are VERY good that 1 out of 10 of them even went to college....much less to the University of Tennessee. That speaks for itself.

No comments: